Books for ten year old girls

I asked on facebook the other day for suggestions of books suitable for ten year old girls.  So here's the complied list from everyone's contributions.  The ones with ** are ones that my daughter has read this year and loved particularly.  Feel free to suggest any of your own ideas.

Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter
The Babysitter's Club by Ann M. Martin
**My sister Jodie by Jacqueline Wilson
Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
**Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Amelia Dee and the Peacock Lamp, Darius Bell and the Glitter Pool, and the Hazel Green series by Odo Hirsch
Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
**When you reach me by Rebecca Stead
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
** The Phoenix Files Series by Chris Morphew
Alice Miranda Series by Jacqueline Harvey
Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
** Cicada Summer by Kate Constable
The Never Ending Story by Michael Ende
Patricia St John books
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin
A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
**Once, Then and Now by Morris Gleitzman
Grace by Morris Gleitzman
Chasing after the Wind by Dale Harcombe
Boy/Girl Overboard by Morris Gleitzman
Rowan of Rin and Deltora Quest by Emily Rodda
A Wrinkle in Time Trilogy by Madeleine L'Engle
Pig City by Louis Sacher
Someday Angeline by Louis Sacher
**Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
**Flitterwig and Clearheart by Edrei Cullen
One Big Wacky Family by Jackie French
** Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
** Malory Towers by Enid Blyton
A Little Bush Maid (the Billabong Series) by Mary Grant Bruce

Comments

Karen said…
Ooh..so many great memories looking back at that list! I still read my Anne of Green Gables series every so often, I love them so much. I loved the Little House on the Prairie ones by Laura Ingalls Wilder too. And Malory Towers and St Clare's, anything boarding school-ish.
The others I remember reading and enjoying are some of Robin Klein's books. Hating Alison Ashley was the first one I read but the one that I liked the most was People Might Hear You (a bit more scary). And there were some others she wrote about some sisters growing up in the country, Dresses of Red and Gold was one of them and I think there was another one in that series too but I can't remember what it was called.
Anonymous said…
I would second anything by Katherine Patterson, Madeleine L'Engle, and (with the exception of Tiger Rising, not her best work) Kate DiCamillo. I would also encourage you to check out "Savvy" by Ingrid Law and not to bother reading "When You Reach Me". It may have won the Newberry but the writing is poor and it would be far over a 10 year old's head. And certainly don't forget Tuck Everlasting (Natalie Babbitt), a classic for 10-12 year olds!
Dale Harcombe said…
Lovely to see my first children's novel, 'Chasing after the Wind',on your list with so many other great novels. A lot of memories in there.
At the moment I'm waiting on my first adult novel 'Streets on a Map' which should be published in time for Christmas. Speaking of Christmas, I hope everyone gives lots of books at Christmas espcailly by Aussie authors.
Anonymous said…
Great list of books.

I love what you say about your family's love of books. My sons are the same.

There are worse things than being late for school because you are too busy reading or writing.
Heather said…
Thanks Jenny - an excellent list for future reference!

Another author I'd forgotten: Noel Streatfeild. I'm not sure how old I was when I read them (maybe 13/14), but I loved Apple Bough, The Painted Garden, Ballet Shoes and The Growing Summer.
Christine said…
I like Robin Klein especially, Hating Alison Ashley, Penny Pollard's Diary and the series with 'All in the Blue Unclouded Weather'.

Popular posts from this blog

Going grey at 40

Confessions of an earl grey addict

Christmas memory creating