Tuesday, July 6, 2010
Reading is better than ...
2. Interior decoration
4. Having a shower
5. Making a bed (my children)
6. Getting dressed/putting shoes on/packing a school bag/brushing teeth/eating breakfast (most children)
7. Sport (watching or playing it)
But did you know that in our house you can read while you:
1. Practice the piano (no joke!)
2. Go to the toilet (especially tricky if you are a boy)
3. Get dressed (very slowly)
4. Walk to school
5. Walk home from school (usually a different book to No 4)
6. Set the table
7. Cook toast
8. Watch TV
9. Jump on the trampoline
10. Fill up a drink bottle
This is a snapshot of the desperate state of affairs in our house regarding books. However, it can be quiet!
Rowan and I knew we were meant for each other when our happiest 'dates' involved reading the Saturday paper together. And when our kids were toddlers they always wanted to have books propped up in front of them to look at it when they were eating breakfast (which was always a disaster because the book would fall in the breakfast or tip over the breakfast). We had to stop it but then realised that we loved reading while eating so couldn't exactly blame the poor little kids!
Last week my oldest boy was on an excursion and I heard him thanking his sister for borrowing some books for him from the school library. That's my girl!
Labels: family life