Outnumbered

I've been meaning to talk about this TV show for ages because I've enjoyed it but I think it has just finished in Australia.  Series one has just been released on DVD so you can always ask for it for Christmas.

'Outnumbered' is a show about the Brockman family. Pete (a history teacher), Sue and their three kids, 13yo Jake, 9yo Ben and 6yo Karen set in South London. It's a very understated, meandering sort of show which some people might find irritating after the slickness of a show like 'Modern Family' (which we thoroughly enjoy too).  This is because it semi-improvised and you can see that in the realness of the children's conversations and comments.  But 'Outnumbered' portrays the everyday 'joys' of family life with humour and dryness that I found therapeutic.  Their middle child, Ben, is completely mad, and I have to say does remind me a lot of one of my children.

Ultimately it is Pete and Sue's constant look of bewilderment that is the highlight for me.  I often feel like that.  'How did we get here?  With all these children?  Doing crazy stuff.  That we have no control over.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going grey at 40

Confessions of an earl grey addict

Christmas memory creating