Children's Book Council of Australia awards 2011

One of the great aspects of my job as a children's librarian is that I get to spend a good deal of time looking at the books selected for the short-list by the Children's Book Council of Australia for their annual prizes.

I'll be interested to see who wins but I already have quite a few favourites from the early childhood shortlist.  I'm still working my way through some of the other categories.

'It's Bedtime William!' by Deborah Niland, tells the story of William, who is not very good at going to bed (sound familiar anyone?!) but on this particular night really does have a lion asleep in his bed (his parents, unsurprisingly, don't believe him).  Unfortunately the lion wakes up and wants to play, then doesn't want to go to sleep and makes William quite tired and grumpy.  Kids love the irony of the book (and it is quiet therapy for the parents).  I really enjoy reading this book aloud.  Good fun.

'Maudie and Bear' by Jan Ormerod is actually four stories in one book.  The illustrations (by Freya Blackwood) are gorgeous and beautiful to look at.  Maudie is a little girl and has a series of adventures with Bear.  They are just ordinary, everyday experiences but articulated beautifully.

And my final favourite in the Early Childhood category is 'The Tall Man and the twelve babies' by Tom Niland Champion and Kilmeny Niland (illustrated by Deborah Niland).  This is just a funny book - a bit of a nonsense story about a man with twelve babies.  The girls are all called Charlene and the boys, Alistair.  Another fun one to read out loud.

Comments

Karen said…
I loved The Tall Man and the Twelve Babies! (and Rosie quite liked pointing at all the babies). I am on the lookout for a good book for Rosie's 2nd birthday coming up...something about familiar activities/pottering around everyday...do you have any good recommendations??
Jenny said…
I'm thinking Karen - I'll ask my colleague at work who works with preschoolers much more than me.
Deb L said…
Have you tried the Shirley Hughes' books "Olly and me"? They are a bit younger than her Alfie books and just wonderful bits of everyday-ness. Try "The Nursery Collection" or "Giving", "Bouncing", "Helping", and "Bathwater's Hot". But I think the Alfie books are great too although I'm thinking they are pitched more around 4 years of age.

I also found "Hug" by Jez Alborough was a huge hit for 2-3 year olds. And a big favourite in our house for 2-3 year olds was the bear series by Stella Blackstone - our favourites beind "Bear goes to town" and "Bear at home". I've read those two so many times I fear their scripts might be the only things I can remember in the nursing home when I'm 100.
Karen said…
Thanks so much ladies, much appreciated!

Popular posts from this blog

Going grey at 40

Confessions of an earl grey addict

Christmas memory creating