Mum Movies: I don't know how she does it



The most helpful thing I can say about the movie is, read the book.  The 2003 book 'I don't know how she does it' by Allison Pearson was one of my most loved 'Mum' books when I had little kids.  I probably liked it because it affirmed my decision to stay at home with the kids.

Kate Reddy juggles a full-time corporate job with two little kids and a lovely husband.  The book is funny but at the same time describes the real tension between doing a job that you're brilliant at, while missing out on many of the mundane, day-to-day great bits of having children.

Unfortunately last year's movie by the same name wasn't nearly as great as the book.  Partly because the main character was played by Sarah Jessica Parker (sadly, she seems to me to be only able to ever play one character - not particularly nuanced the old SJP).  But partly because the movie couldn't convey the depths of humour and sadness that are articulated so well in the book.


Interestingly the movie had a birthday party scene - the point in the movie where it all truly falls apart.  Uma Thurman's movie, 'Motherhood' (that I also watched recently) was centred around organising a birthday party.  So party angst is not mine alone.  Even Hollywood recognises that it is a nightmare!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going grey at 40

Confessions of an earl grey addict

Christmas memory creating