Yay! I am hoping this will happen when we have our first (non-family) friend sleep over on Friday and Saturday night. I'm afraid there is a lot of fighting happening at my house - all boys aged 9, 7, 5, and twin 3 year olds..... Interestingly, the friend who is coming is the youngest of 4 boys. Hope the peace continues at your house - Jen
I have written about this before , but after broaching the subject on facebook a few weeks ago I've been thinking a lot about the whole colouring your hair deal. On facebook I asked when having natural coloured hair was going to become trendy like other old fashioned things like quilting and growing your veges? I am quite tired of how time consuming colouring my hair is and how expensive it is. A very interesting conversation resulted with a huge variety of opinions. Many of the women said they would be going natural, but of course they aren't gray now (and are my age) so I don't think that really counts. Until you ACTUALLY start going seriously gray/white you can't see how it impacts on the way you look. I think it is different to be almost white (like myself) at age 40 and agreeing in principle to going natural when it happens to you in the future (when you will be a lot older than I am now!). Just quietly, I'll believe it when I see it (let me thr...
Occasionally I get asked what I think about home schooling. Let me say from the outset that I'm not against it at all. I was actually homeschooled for Year 3 because I wasn't coping with the local Indian school and I wasn't old enough for boarding school. I have lots of friends who do it - some out of necessity (eg. missionary friends in remote places with no options) or out of choice (because their child doesn't cope with the mainstream school system). So I'm fine with the whole concept. I have great admiration for families that choose to provide that education for their kids. It is hard work and a significant drain on time and emotional energy (usually for the mum). I also think that it can be a great gift for children who would otherwise get lost in a conventional educational institution. But why wouldn't I do it? Partly because I did homeschooling myself and found it quite lonely. I missed the social interaction of school a...
Wow - yet another cutting edge topic for you my dear readers! I've been going grey since I was 22 (first year of teaching - I blame that bottom Year 9 class) so this is a topic I've been thinking about for a while. I like watching the TV book review show on the ABC called 'The First Tuesday Book Club' and I've noticed recently that one of the panelists, Marieke Hardy, is going grey and doesn't appear to be doing anything about it. She's the 'young' panelist (she's 34) in comparison to the other contributors. I feel so heartened every time I see her grey hair that I think, 'oh maybe, I can let my hair just go'. But then I look around and watch the world passing me by and so few women have grey hair. The only ones that seem to have noticeably grey hair are those with a beautiful full head of white hair. Not many patchy, in between people like me wandering around. My personal theory is that if suddenly all the hair colour ran out...
Comments
I am hoping this will happen when we have our first (non-family) friend sleep over on Friday and Saturday night. I'm afraid there is a lot of fighting happening at my house - all boys aged 9, 7, 5, and twin 3 year olds.....
Interestingly, the friend who is coming is the youngest of 4 boys. Hope the peace continues at your house - Jen