Wednesday, June 22, 2011

If you want to feel old...

If you want to feel old go on a conference with 600 undergraduate uni students.  That's what I'm doing next week for a few days.

In preparation to not look like a completely exhausted old lady I put myself through the hairdresser trauma yesterday (this has been discussed previously on my blog).  I now have a full head of beautifully coloured hair.

However all I have to do now is do something about the wrinkles, daggy clothes and become quite vague about exactly when it was that I did that B.A.  The vagueness is necessary since I did it before the current undergrads were born and that just gets a bit embarrassing for the poor things who are left trying to work out what you say to such an ancient woman.

Frankly I'm fighting a losing battle - you're officially old at 23 so I'm going to just have to get my head around how they perceive me.  Tricky when I still perceive myself at about 25!

6 comments:

Tasmanian said...

Well, two of my nieces and three of my nephews have spouses. Four of those five couples have bought a house. One of those couples is having a baby NEXT WEEK. I will be a "Great-Aunt" instead of just a great aunt. That, my friend, makes me feel old.

alison said...

What are you talking about? You are awesome-lady! In some "young people's" eyes anyway :) Although technically I am "officially old" now too.

I hope you have a great time!

Peter Sholl said...

In you, wisdom is a precious gift with age. They will value it, not despise it. (from Sarah)

Karen said...

I like what Sarah said. But sadly, my experience (although limited, I admit) of the undergraduate/new graduate population is that they often tend towards perceiving themselves as having all the wisdom...
But maybe you will find a fellow mature-aged student buddy that you can hang out with. Or you could run off to a coffee shop during the breaks and enjoy some time by yourself (this is what I am planning to do if the conference I am off to next week gets too much for me....)

Anonymous said...

600 students! Awesome.
:) Beck

Sandra said...

48. Yes I'm now 48. I'm a step great-aunt. And I've gone back to uni and they have resurrected my old uni number and it starts with 1981.... I'm the oldest in my tute group - though there were people who looked older than me at the exam I just did. My wrinkles are hard earned. If you want to upgrade your wardrobe I can lend you my teenage daughters to give you fashion advice- it usually comprises of something along the lines of 'mum you couldn't possibly wear that' when I've innocently taken an article of clothing off the rack to look at it. Though they have found some real gems when we've gone shopping togehter and I have things I never would have even tried on that look really good.
Have a great time and I bet all those 20 year olds will think you're cool.