Wow - yet another cutting edge topic for you my dear readers! I've been going grey since I was 22 (first year of teaching - I blame that bottom Year 9 class) so this is a topic I've been thinking about for a while. I like watching the TV book review show on the ABC called 'The First Tuesday Book Club' and I've noticed recently that one of the panelists, Marieke Hardy, is going grey and doesn't appear to be doing anything about it. She's the 'young' panelist (she's 34) in comparison to the other contributors. I feel so heartened every time I see her grey hair that I think, 'oh maybe, I can let my hair just go'. But then I look around and watch the world passing me by and so few women have grey hair. The only ones that seem to have noticeably grey hair are those with a beautiful full head of white hair. Not many patchy, in between people like me wandering around. My personal theory is that if suddenly all the hair colour ran out...
Comments
Then I went to playgroup and was amazed that no-one talked about it. No-one. How could that be? Then I remembered that no matter what happens, mums have to take care of the children - their needs are immediate. You might not have time to drop everything and consider world events. You need to keep the wheels turning at home, no matter what. Any talk at playgroup would have been speculation. But I did feel it was a momentous day and the world had changed. (And maybe that wasn't the playgroup for me...)
Some friends were actually watching West Wing when the network interrupted the show with a news bullitin. Somewhat ironic.