Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Let me show off my craftiness (just briefly)

Last month the Christian blogger Tim Challies wrote an interesting piece on competitive mothering (in many ways so correct, but just quietly I wondered if it's not all bad if occasionally we celebrate our successes as mothers - not much about what we do is all that noteworthy).  Anyway, in the spirit of sharing my success (of course, incidentally, I guess it will make you all feel like failures - try and overlook this for a moment, it will be short lived), let me brag about my quilt.

It is for my youngest child.  I have made quilts for the other children, but I had totally run out of puff, time, energy, interest by the time it was No. 5's turn.  I do love her.  I don't love so much the standard I set with the older kids (photos albums, scrapbooks, quilts, cross stitch) that I now feel I have to maintain so the younger ones don't feel ripped off.  This is a good contraceptive btw (TMI?? apologies).  The thought of doing all this for more children (who I would of course love immensely, but they wouldn't feel like I loved them because there wouldn't be any products to show this love, and then they'd need therapy because of my neglect ... etc, etc), just felt like a mountain too high to climb (of my own doing of course).


ANYWAY ... this quilt is the lazy mother's quilt.  It also took three and a half years to complete (from when I bought the material to when I finished it last month).  All I had to do was cut strips of material that were the same width as the material.  Then sew them together.  Not a great deal of work in the piecing.  But looking at the photos, the ones of the pieces laid out on the table are from two years ago.  I even bought the binding from etsy (sooo lazy).


Finally, it is finished and the youngest child is very happy.  And I feel that I can still be a part of the race towards becoming an uber mother.

3 comments:

Kath said...

Nice.

Impressed with your success Jenny. Pat on the back from me :)

Alison said...

Hilarious post. Lovely quilt!

Deb said...

Any mother who can start something two years ago and finally see it through to completion is a qualified uber mum. Well done on a beautiful quilt.